Thursday, August 18, 2011

Getting Started...pre-pre-training Week 1

Well, I figure the first steps in training for anything (whether a 5k, 10k, adventure race, or triathlon) is to just get started. I'm not always great at getting started in the best ways. So, I did what I know I'm good at...I made a schedule. I've broken it down into Training, Pre-Training, and Pre-Pre-Training :)

I know that most sprint triathlon training schedules are around 16-20 weeks long, which would get me prepped if I wanted to do a January triathlon. Hmm, timing was a bit off. So, I'm going to do some pre-training for a few weeks prior to training. I would probably have a hard time consistently swimming/running/biking the week-one times right now anyway. In fact, right now, I'd be lucky if I could run a mile without feeling as if I'd been punched straight in the lungs. I haven't biked much since I wrecked my old bike on a major road about 4 years ago. As far as swimming goes, I have never done it for any reason other than recreation! This could be interesting...

This week I decided to boost my motivation by starting with some fun stuff and make myself feel confident about training soon...I'm calling this week and next my pre-pre-training weeks. I recently bought a livingsocial voucher for 2 weeks of kickboxing fitness classes, and last night I went to my first class. I spent about 7 weeks doing the Insanity workout last fall, and it was intense. A couple of weeks ago, I did a few of my Insanity videos just for a good intense workout, and during that class yesterday, I was SO grateful that I'd prepped by doing some Insanity! That was the most intense fitness class I've ever attended, and it was awesome!

I'm sore today, and tomorrow will be worse. So, I won't be back to class until Thursday and again Saturday. After my 2 weeks is up, I hope to have attended 6-7 total classes, which should put me in good shape to start pre-training. The following 3-4 weeks, I will repeat the same weekly training routine, and by the last week, I hope to be consistent with the times and ready to move on to week 2. My light running days just happen to coincide with soccer Mondays, which is perfect! I can easily get a 12-24 minute run in during soccer (or before/after). Now THAT is how you make training fun!

I've also decided to set up some benchmarks along the way. The sprint triathlon I really want to do is not until June 2012. It's the Iron Girl, which just sounds awesome. I have a short attention span, so I need benchmarks between now and then to keep me going and keep me interested. The first is the Muck Run (5k adventure race) on Oct 15th. I'm already getting excited to be in decent shape for that. I am hoping to find a Christmas-themed race (maybe even back home in Valdosta) in December. The next benchmark will be a mid-winter one, so it won't be easy to find a good race. Hopefully, if I've been consistently training, I'll be up for anything by then. With my training schedule, that's when I'll be ready for a sprint triathlon. Maybe I can find a duathlon.

A huge part of training is also diet. I'm not always a healthy eater, especially when it comes to getting all the proper nutrients I need. Today I am starting my training diet. I'm sure I'll waver a good bit from time to time, but the goal is to be as consistent as possible with eating proper, balanced meals.

Next on my to-do list for training is to get the right equipment...bike helmet and tri-suit are really all I need. Getting the tri-suit is cheaper than buying a swimsuit, running shorts, bike shorts, etc. all separately. Plus, tri-suits look bad-a, so maybe I'll even take myself seriously! Now, fingers crossed, prayers raised...I can do this. I will do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment