Monday, March 12, 2012

It's Starting...

Well, many months ago, I started training. A few months later I started registering for races. My ultimate goal is still the Iron Girl Triathlon on May 20. However, during the course of my training, I decided to add other races along the way. My intention was to just do some 5K races here and there until the triathlon. Well, somewhere along the way, I got a little nuts. I upped the ante. I realized that I am capable of much more than I thought I would be able to do. I added in a 10k, the Spartan Sprint obstacle race, and 2 half-marathons.

It's all been leading up to the month of March, the month of races. I knew all a long that once this month got here, I'd be pushing myself to the limit. After my first half-marathon next weekend, I'll be switching gears to full-on triathlon training, instead of the mix of running and strength training for the Spartan Race. With a few bumps in the road and some problems w/ my knee, I have really begun to get scared for that half-marathon next weekend! The thing is, I am stronger now than I have been in years... if ever. I conquered that Spartan Race this past weekend. And even though I had my knee hinder my 10K run the weekend before, I have since begun to aggressively work on my IT band and changing my training around. I am confident that I can complete the half-marathon, even if I have to walk part of it. I have to keep reminding myself that I still have a second half-marathon, and my ultimate goal is the triathlon. From there, I'm not sure what comes next, but I will keep going... so I need to take care of myself along the way.

Another thing I remind myself of...my weakest moment ever. Just over 2 years and 4 months ago, I couldn't sit up on my own. I couldn't move without being in excruciating pain. Months later, 2 years ago, I couldn't walk up stairs without being exhausted, and I couldn't do a single situp without wincing in pain for a few more months. For a moment there, I thought I'd never have the lung capacity to do anything extreme ever again. One year ago, I couldn't run a mile.

I remind myself of 2 1/2 years ago... And at my weakest before/after my surgery (about 2 yrs 4 months ago):


My previously rock-climber-strong core muscles, reduced to nothing:




So, admittedly, I have moments of weakness. I want to quit. Thought seep into my mind telling me that I can't do it... then I stop and remind myself of the wonderful things that the human body is capable of. This body can heal and become stronger than before. I can run 13 miles...I know because I have done it already. I can conquer any obstacle that I face...I know because I have done it, and will keep going until this body can't take any more.




(Remember that 6" long, nasty surgery scar? Exactly. What scar?)

No comments:

Post a Comment