Tuesday, March 20, 2012

13.1... check.

I did it. This past Sunday, I completed my first half marathon! Because of the troubles I've been having with my knee/IT band, I was especially careful the weeks leading up to this race. I hadn't been able to do a legit long run for about a month, but with cross training and pool running, I was able to maintain my endurance/conditioning fairly well. Race day arrived, my knee was taped up with KT tape and wrapped with my IT Band Strap. I didn't trust the tape enough to try to run w/o the strap, but I wasn't ready to take the strap out for the full race w/o backup. I had only run with the strap a few times, but that had to be enough.

I started the race with a goal time of around 2:30:00. I decided that I had to walk for a minimum of 1 minute per mile, walk through every water station, and walk at least part of every steep/long incline to keep my knee from failing too early on. So, with my rules in mind, I knew there was a shot that I'd not make it in my goal time. I finished the race running and crossed the finish line at 2:31:54. Not great, but seeing as it's my first HM, it's also my PR. I can't wait for HM number 2 in a little over a month!

Post race, I filled a kiddie pool with 3 bags of ice, water, and a tossed in a few beers to keep them cool in the warm sunshine. Then, I climbed in. I think that's why my legs, feet, and knees felt fine the next day! That, and my foam roller...that thing is great. I've learned so much, and I plan to keep going.

I have also signed up for next year's Publix Georgia Marathon. If I decide I can't handle the full marathon in a year, I'm okay with cutting it short and doing the half...but I'd like to try to push it. Until then, I'm ready to transition my training to the triathlon stuff. This weekend I'll be practicing my first transition and doing some biking in south Georgia. I feel like I'm on top of the world!


I did it!


Post-race w/ the Beltline running crew:

No comments:

Post a Comment