Friday, October 19, 2012

The next logical step...

I'll keep this short, just another update. I kind of sucked it up at my last half marathon, but I keep telling myself it's bc I'm training differently. I was also not at 100%, and I knew it. I am feeling myself reaching a plateau, but not a permanent one. I think I may have reached the limit of what I can do on my own. Training alone for endurance races is kind of challenging, but I enjoy it. However, if I want to improve and keep myself going without burning out, I need to take it to the next level.


The next logical step for me is to look into training. I thought about team training with Atlanta Tri Club (or another similar group). I am not a huge fan of group training though, I know that's probably not good. I just have so much anxiety around other people that I just kind of want to do it on my own. I also like to use my training time as my "me time." So, I think I've decided to go with an individual coach. It's not cheap, but it could be really beneficial. It would also help me avoid potential injury from over-training on my own. I seem to be injury prone, so it'd be nice to have someone else keeping me in check. I also could use the individual accountability from someone who knows my training and where I am physically.


I think I've decided to go with a coach from The Sport Factory, which is mostly online coaching. That seems flexible enough for me, too. The tri clubs have their set schedules, which don't always work for me. It won't be cheap, but I could really benefit. If I don't improve within a few months, then I could stop the individual coaching. However, I think I really could see some positive results, and cut out some unnecessary stuff I'm doing now (supplement chasing, over training, now knowing what comes next, etc).


So...Today I will decide the next step. Am I serious about this racing thing? I want to be. Is that crazy? Am I really capable of being an Iron Man finisher? Am I capable of placing in bigger races? Is it a waste of money and time to get this serious about endurance races? It may be...however, I won't know until I try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment